Friday, May 16, 2014

No One Is Interchangeable

Towards the end of Bechukotai we learn about the prohibition of Temurah. If I designate an animal for Temple use, I am not allowed to transfer that status to a different animal. this is the case even if I was planning on offering a better animal in place of the first one. If I were to attempt to transfer the sanctified status, then both animals become sanctified and must be dedicated for temple use.

Rabbi Moshe Feinstein explained that the lesson of Temurah is that no one is interchangeable. Even if it appears as if my role can be accomplish by someone else, in truth there is no one that can do what I do. If I try to exempt myself from my responsibilities, the role just expands to include me and now other people.

In this age when entire industries are becoming obsolete we run the risk of characterizing people in similar terms. The lesson of Temurah is that sanctity cannot be diminished, it will only spread. Since every human possesses a degree of sanctity and dignity we must remember that there is no such thing as an obsolete person. Every one of us is necessary, irreplaceable and never interchangeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment